Before we get into the details, let's have a look at the bigger picture of organising a CodeUp branch.
You should start organising your first session at least 2 months before the event will take place. It gives you a safe amount of time to make sure everything runs smoothly. After you've run your first event, all the rest will be much easier, and can be done 3 - 4 weeks in advance. Of course, the actual amount of work could be fitted into a few hours of total work, so if you spread that over the month, you can totally do it in your free time.
Organising an event with a team is awesome but not mandatory. Don't forget to set a few rules on how you'll work together to avoid misunderstanding.
Let's see how organising a CodeUp event looks on the timeline:
2 - 3 months before your first event Edit
- Secure a venue
- Apply to the CodeUp organisation to register your event
- Announce the branch on Twitter or Facebook
- Start promotion of your CodeUp branch
- Look for mentors
- Meetup with mentors to discuss how a CodeUp session will run
3 - 4 weeks before Edit
- Decide on the content of your next session
- Create your session on the Meetup account and announce to your members
- Start promoting the next session
- Try to meet any potential new mentors in person to brief them on how the sessions work
On the day Edit
- Prepare the venue an hour in advance
- Check any technical equipment you need to use
- Welcome attendees to the event
- Ask people what they need help with and allocate them to an appropriate mentor
- Keep checking on attendees to make sure they're receiving support
- Take pictures and promote the event on social media
- Make a log of the number of attendees
After the event Edit
- Follow up with messages on social media on how the event went
- Be proud of yourself <3
- Start again for the next month!